Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Cnt find my irrevocable trust.need a copy >how do i go about

Customer Question

cnt find my irrevocable trust.need a copy >how do i go about getting one>from my lawyer or town where it was recorded
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: new jersey
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: deed and recorded documents. deed has our trust written on it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

You can try to contact the attorney, but normally an attorney won't keep a signed copy of client documents. The attorney prepares the trust, helps get it signed and executed, and then his job is done and he moves on to other clients. So unless you specifically asked him to keep a signed copy, then he probably didn't do so.

.

Further, trusts are entirely confidential documents and aren't recorded anywhere in the public records. Deeds are recorded, trusts are not..

.

So you may have to get the attorney to print out a copy of the trust and then you "restate" the trust by basically re-signing it again with the prior dates that it was executed noted in it, if they are known.

.

.

thanks