How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33004
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My trust, I believe, irrevocable, since it does not say that

Customer Question

My trust, I believe, irrevocable, since it does not say that it is revocable.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Can I change the trustee on it since I am still living
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that the trust is my trust but I think it is irrevocable and I want to change the trustee on it for after I die.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

The default, unless otherwise stated, is REVOCABLE trust. An irrevocable trust has to so state and be set up as such. Otherwise, the trust is revocable until the grantor dies.

As the grantor or settlor of a revocable trust, you are free to amend the trust in, pretty much, any way you want, including changing the trustee.

If this were an irrevocable trust you would need the consent of the trustee and beneficiaries, as well as the consent of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Fro a revocable trust, just type up an amendment, sign it and attach it to the existing trust.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!