How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2762
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandfather died over 30 years ago. He did have a will

Customer Question

My grandfather died over 30 years ago. He did have a will regarding property. I have reason to believe that he did not leave the property to my sister but to my mother. She in turn gave the property to my sister. I actually just want to see a copy of his will for peace of mind not to sue. I reside in Massachusetts. Is there a way for me to obtain a copy of the will?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I was a minor so I don't have a copy of the will or anything that would go with it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Have you attempted to contact the probate court in the county where he died? The will would be in the file. Do you know the county? Possibly I can find the phone number for you of the court. You can attempt to call them. Sometimes they will send you a copy of the file in the mail for a fee.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe it would be the Worcester probate court in Massachusetts, I do not have a docket number. would my grandfathers name be enough with the year that he died? If my mother did in fact give property to my sister in disregard of his wishes I assume it is to late to do anything now. The property has since been sod. I was a minor 14 when he died my sister was 18 and of legal age. My grandfather would never have left me out of a will.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Yes. The name of your grandfather and the year of death could be enough. Most likely it is computerized and they would use those as keywords. Here is the probate court's number:(###) ###-####/p>

If there was a violation of the will, you could still attempt to challenge the disbursement of assets, especially if you were a minor child. You may not be able to get the property back, but you could possibly receive damages for the conversion of assets from you to someone else. You would demand an accounting or make a motion or file a petition to re-open the estate proceeding. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.