Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My grandmother passed away in 2011 she had paid for all

Customer Question

My grandmother passed away in 2011 she had paid for all funeral expenses including transportation to our family cementary. When I get to the mortuary the lady handling her account (Maria) presented an invoice of $11k saying that my grandmother wanted this cherrywood casket of $6k, etc. Me being in distress forgot that my grandmother said she paid for everything in cash. Maria said not to worry they would process the payment through my grandmother's life insurance (she had since 1979) and whatever was left would go to us, the grandchildren. As I packed her apartment I found an invoice sdated 2008 with signature of both my grandmother & Maria for a simple silver metal casket (that's my abuella) balance of $2100 and she paid $200 in cash that day. When I went back to the mortuary to present and ask why they presented another invoice I got the run around. Very long story short, I eneded up transferring my grandma's body to another mortuary found out through my grandma's life insurance Prudentia that they (the mortuary) were listed as the beneficiary. Found a letter from Prudential dated 2008 that the accountant of the mortuary requested a change in beneficiary for be sent to my grandmother listing the mortuary as the beneficary. I have writtten to the bureau of funeral & cementary they found multiple allegations in the process of her funeral. Is there anything else I can do to sue the funeral home or advice?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: 3 different invoices with varying price the letter from Prudential calls I made to Prufdential with case # ***** report from the Bureau of Funerals off the top of my head probably can find more evidence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

It is unclear to me whether you are looking to have the funeral home return moneys to the estate; or the funeral home is claiming the estate owes them money; or you paid money and want returned to you. Or the funeral home took the insurance proceeds and you want them returned. Please clarify. Also, did you grandmother have an estate proceeding? Is it still open?

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.