How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41011
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom is 85 years old and owned last spring a $285,000 home

Customer Question

My mom is 85 years old and owned last spring a $285,000 home in Washington state. My older sister, 60 years old, took advantage of my mom by forcing mom to sell her home-liquidate assets. My sister was broke, sold-lost her home and spent the small proceeds and was living free off my mom although she claims she cleans moms home-meal makes-reminds mom to take pills. Older sister can't find a job either-was LPN NURSES-but fired from last 3 jobs.My mom/dad gave me WILL saying I'd receive 1/3 inheritance when they pass-dad already dead. Mom alive.My sister told me I d never get any inheritance, older sister executed I'd parents estate. Older sister in June sold moms home -and received $285,000 proceeds. Then older sister put her name on title and moms name on title of new home and older sister had mom take out mortgage in moms name of about $100,000. Do mom and sister both now own a $350,000 home and when mom dies older sister plans to keep whole home so there be no inheritance for me. I read public county records so I saw all sisterdid with all the homes and she wrote me in text about her being broke.Now sister lies to mom and says that sister has a lot of money in home shared with her and mom. But really sister is stealing all moms money to get sister an extravagant home.I'm upset because I need my inheritance. I can't afford sister to steal it all.Can I do law suit now-civil for sister stealing moms money so she'd avoid giving me inheritance when mom passes.Mom is incoherent and can't remember what happens each day. She just repeats whatever my sister tells her. Mom has no idea what my sister is doing. My sister blocks cell so I can't call mom. Sister secretly bought home and moved mom and I had to do tesearch to find them. I now have her address.I could report her to DA ANS ELDERLY ABUSE-but I just want my inheritance not stolen. I don't want sister to go jail-although she deserves it.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

You absolutely need to report this as elder abuse.Your mother as financially exploited and the sister here needs to be prosecuted.The court can require the funds to be restored and a guardian for your mother appointed.Your sister here should not get away with this, she has stolen your mothers life savings.I would report this immediately and have a neutral party investigate and take action.

You have to do this for the protection of your mother and her assets.Your sister is trying to exploit her and take it all.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again , please let me know if you have more .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know I can report it-I know she's criminal. But my mom lives in home and most likely the real damage is I won't get an inheritance. Can I just bring law suit for her transferring funds to her name only to avoid inheritance before my mom passes. Law suit easier. Can I do it?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Your mother here or a court appointed guardian can file such a suit.You have no standing because in theory mother can change her will until she dies so you are potential heir .But certainly unless you report this and get her a guardian of her estate appointed she it risk of the sister stealing it all and you are left with nothing.Reporting this protects both of you here your mother and you.But mother or her guardian can file such a civil suit.