How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41617
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-brother-in-law has died suddenly in Missouri. He had a

Customer Question

My ex-brother-in-law has died suddenly in Missouri. He had a live in fiancee. The house was in his name only. Other relatives have been taking things and his kids also. Will this cause legal problems? What happens to the items in question?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: No will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is fighting going on with the family and fiancee. The family on both sides have been taking horses, tools and anything of value. How can I help his children get their inheritance. Can the family members be in legal trouble?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Here any relative can make application for probate and to be appointed adminsitrator.The estate can issue demand letters and sue for any missing items and to gather assets and pay claims and sell with court approval.Until somebody steps up them the items may continue to disappear.Any of the kids here if nearest relatives can make application and open probate here in Missouri.The fiance if there was no will would have no legal interest in the estate as it passes to blood relatives under the laws of intestacy.

Missouri law of intestacy--no will

f you die with:

here’s what happens:

  • children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse
  • spouse inherits first $20,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and descendants from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • parents and siblings, but no spouse or descendants
  • parents and siblings inherit your intestate property in equal shares
  • parents but no spouse, descendants, or siblings
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents
  • siblings inherit everything

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry for your sudden loss.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

You are so welcome.The administrator can involve the police/sheriff here too, its theft.

Thanks again.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.