Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My mom died nine years ago our stepfather gave us nothing he

Customer Question
lives in the state of...
My mom died nine years ago our stepfather gave us nothing he lives in the state of Kansas and that's when my mom died is it too late for me to file a case against the estate?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: What do I need?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
11/7/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Was the estate actually settled through the probate courts?

.

Did mother have a will when she passed?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She had no will no court at all ... she died he went on with life knowing I needed help ...

Ok, if no one has ever filed a probate case to settle the estate, then there is nothing that would prevent you from filing a probate case to settle her estate, even 9 years later.

.

If she had no will, then under Kansas intestate law, her husband would inherit half her estate and her children would split the other half.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney