RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My mom past in april. I cared for her for 12 years. why does

Customer Question

hi. my mom past in april. I cared for her for 12 years. why does my brother, the trustee get $80K toward trustee fees and I get nothing for giving up my life for 12 years
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: california
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I don't understand
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i put $60-70K in landscaping improvements on her home..is this considered unjust enrichment and does the estate owe me this? my brother thinks it should be rent for 12 years when I was never paid to care for her around the clock
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

I would submit a bill or your work and the expenses you incurred here to the trustee.If the trustee denies the claim you will have to sue the trust and seek a judgment.You have rights to be a creditor against the trust.You have some great facts if the trustee denies the claim then you can sue here.

California allows small claims suits up to $10k you can file without a lawyer if necessary here.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

You have right here to seek compensation for the work you performed during this time. I hope you will pursue this starting with demand letter to trustee and sue if you have too in order to get reimbursement.I am so sorry for the loss of your parent.

Thanks again.

If you can positive rate it is much appreciated, thanks again.