Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am seeking information to help guide me as I become the

Customer Question
Hi, I am seeking information...
Hi, I am seeking information to help guide me as I become the trustee for my brother's special needs trust.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Anything is a broad term
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know if I want to be connected. I am seeking expertise on Special Needs Trusts
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
11/3/2016
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what can I answer for you about the trust?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. We have inherited an IRA that was assigned to the four children as beneficiaries. One of the four is disabled and on Medicaid and SSI. I need to know exactly how to transfer the portion of his IRA into the Special Needs Trust that was established for him under our father's irrevocable trust. This needs to happen in such a way as to avoid jeopardizing the Medicaid and SSI benefits. The IRA manager has said that they will be able to do the changes according to our direction in order to satisfy the guidelines. But we don't know the approach to take to avoid raising flags with ssi/medicaid.

The special needs trust would open a bank account, normally done by the trustee.

The inheritance would then be deposited into the account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to get a referral to a person who is verified to be extremely experienced with this particular issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks for the answer. It is already known. Thanks anyway.

I can answer anything else you have on this issue. I can also provide a directory or two for finding a local special needs trust lawyer. Let me know.

Kindly let me know if the answer is acceptable

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really don't want to pay for it, so I will say no. Sorry. I shouldn't have opened this chat. I am sure you are very helpful on less complex issues.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to rate you as bad. This is just the wrong question for this venue. Thanks again and take care
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

I am a different attorney and the Special Needs trust is exactly what is needed. I would be happy to provide you with links for Attorneys that specialize in this area of law if you can tell me where in Virginia you are located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I am in Richmond.

Give me a moment ti provide you with the best resources.

Certain Attorneys are verified in areas of specialization. We start with the local Attorneys that hold themselves out as having the type of specialized experience needed and then we verify them through the State Bar Association and Martindale Hubbell, which provides not only the Attorney or firms history, it also includes their ratings from past clients and a rating provided by their peers.

http://www.whitemccarthy.com/special-needs-planning.php

Verified Attorneys http://attorneys.lawinfo.com/special-needs-trusts/virginia/richmond/

Estate Planning and Trust Specialists http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/trusts/richmond/virginia

The next step is to check the Attorneys credentials through the State Bar Association at http://www.vsb.org/site/about/

They can and will refer reputable attorneys to you as well. http://www.vsb.org/vlrs/

The link Attorneys use to find colleagues outside of the State or our areas of practice

Martindale Hubbell is the best and most useful tool for Attorneys that has been around fir decades. I won’t use anything else.

http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Peer_Review_Ratings.aspx

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time or work if the customer does not rate us positively. There is no additional charge to you for a positive rating and you can still receive a refund. Thank you for your consideration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney