LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My wife passed away and she has 2 401k's.I am the only

Customer Question

My wife passed away and she has 2 401k's.I am the only beneficiary. Do they have to be listed on any forms tha are required ba the state of PA.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I sent death certificate and marriage certificate to each and they transferred monies to my name.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for your family's loss;

A 401K is taxable if the decedent was disabled, or if the decedent had the ability to access the plan during life, without penalty.

please see:

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Documents/Inheritance%20Tax/rev-584.pdf

Also instructions for completing the form is here:

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Documents/Inheritance%20Tax/rev-1500_inst.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!