How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother left my the house I'm living in Franklin County,

Customer Question

my mother left my the house I'm living in Franklin County, along with a 148 acre farm in Vance County and another 60 acres of farm land separate tracts in Franklin County. My brother is the extector and telling me it may be over 2 years before the estate will be closed. My question is there any way I could get any financial help using my home. I'm retired on my own with very limited income.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: The farms were left to me from my dad with mom holding until her death, and the house in her will. Had to file bankrupacy years back and she brought the house for me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the house was already mine, she brought it so I would not lose it. The estate is tie up with my sister and brother. My brother received the business shares and land involved with that end. That is what seems to be hold up.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

what kind of help are you seeking?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

A court can be asked to honor a specific distribution and close out that portion of the estate where that issue is not in dispute.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm retired as stated and income is less than expenses was looking into reverse mortgage
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

You can petition the court to permit you to do that or get all parties to stipulate to that effect, since you are the beneficiary

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

awaiting your reply, thank you.