LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
15277592

I have a life estate in a trust written with my partner in

Customer Question

I have a life estate in a trust written with my partner in 2006. At gathering time, the trust was valued at 70%. My partner passed away in Oct., 2014. I have a lawyer who informed me that the federal govt devalued life estate to 26% this past Feb. After 1 1/2 years of waiting for my partners family to clean out the house, we sold the house this June. Is the life estate value retroactive to the date the trust was written or the date my partner died, or is it valued at the Feb. devaluation established by the fed. Gov??
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Sandra,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The value of a life estate is determined at or very near the time of sale of that life estate. So the most accurate estimate of value of the life estate would be as of February if the property sold in June. The date of valuation is not based on the date the trust war prepared, or even as of the date of death of your partner.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Hi Sandra,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug