Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My aunt passed away and I received letters of testamentary

Customer Question
from the court, I was...
My aunt passed away and I received letters of testamentary from the court, I was listed as the executor in the will and she left her assets to me and my brother. She owned 25% of a house and I want to create a quitclaim deed to transfer the property to me an my brother.
my mother owned 25% of the same house and I have the quitclaim deed that was used to transfer her share to me and my brother. I want to adjust the quitclaim deed my mother used to transfer my aunts share of the property to me and my brother.
if my aunt was alive she would just change the name and address for the Party in the first part and the signature section. How do I update the quitclaim deed to transfer my aunts share to me and my brother?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
10/21/2016
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You can use the same format. In it, as grantor, put "Your Aunt's Name, Deceased." And as Grantees you will put you and your brother's names to own the interest being transferred in equal undivided shares. You will sign it as follows:

Grantor: [Your Aunt's Name], Deceased

_________________________

By: [Your Name], Executor of the Estate of [Your Aunt's Name], Deceased

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is how the current quitclaim deed is worded:BETWEENJane S. Doe, residing at***** Mahopac NY 10541
party of the first part, andCarl S Doe, residing at***** Mahopac NY 10541 and James C. Doe, residing at***** Mahopac NY 10541
party in the second partSignature(Last) Page:
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the party of the first part had duly executed this deed the day and year first above written.IN THE PRESENCE OF:___(Signature)_____________ Jane S. DoeNotary Stamp and info is included below signature

Thanks. That's fine. :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my aunts name is***** my name is***** and I am the executor and I have letters of testamentary.

You'll want to make it look like this:

Concetta Doe, Deceased, party of the first part, and

Carl S Doe, residing at***** Mahopac NY 10541 and James C. Doe, residing at***** Mahopac NY 10541
party in the second part

Signature(Last) Page:
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the executor of the estate of the party of the first part had duly executed this deed on behalf of the deceased on the day and year first above written.

IN THE PRESENCE OF:

___(Signature)_____________ Jane S. Doe

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how should I make the signature section look?

Concetta Doe, Deceased

_________________________

By: Carl S. Doe

Title: Executor of the Estate of Concetta Doe, Deceased

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I sign on the line above Carl S. Doe?

Yes.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be away at a meeting for the next hour or so. Should you have a follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in the first part of the quitclaim deed I am using as a template is says:WITNESSETH, that the party of the first part, in consideration of ten dollars paid by the parties of the second part, does hereby remise, release and quitclaim unto the parties of the second part, their heirs or successors and assigns of the parties of the second part forever,In this version a share was sold for $10, I am updating this version to transfer the property via a will. How do I adjust the wording?

Good morning. You will want to put....."Pursuant to the terms of the Last Will and Testament of Concetta Doe, and for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, ....."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should it look like this?WITNESSETH, that the party of the first part, pursuant to the terms of the Last Will and Testament of Concetta Doe, and for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, does hereby remise, release and quitclaim unto the parties of the second part, their heirs or successors and assigns of the parties of the second part forever,in consideration of ten dollars paid by the parties of the second part, does hereby remise, release and quitclaim unto the parties of the second part, their heirs or successors and assigns of the parties of the second part forever,

Perfect.

Richard, Attorney