Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

How can I get help in Calif to make lawyers handling the

Customer Question
estate of Rosina ******, pay...
How can I get help in Calif to make lawyers handling the estate of Rosina ******, pay me the 15.000 dollars owed me. The bequest was 20.000 and the lawyers paid me only 5.000. Mrs ****** left a big fortune and I can't do much from N Y.
Jorge ****** ********** *******************
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
10/20/2016
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I agree to the fee, I'd like to know how you intend to help my case in LA Cal
Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

What is your understanding of why you were only paid 5k?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No undestanding. I think they are playing tricks. I'm an easy prey being in another state I'd ike to know if local benefficiaries hav e the same problem

Was the attorney the appointed executor or was he/she representing the executor named in the Will?

Did you ever ask for an accounting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Petitioners Silvana Liciardi and Julia Skylar filed for an order determining existance of Trust and Trust Property and Oder Determining the capacity of Settlor, june 24 2010. DIdn't ask for accounting (from N Y?)

See the law here.

The Personal Representative must file a final account, report and petition for final distribution, have the petition set for hearing, give notice of the hearing to interested persons, and obtain a court order approving the final distribution.

If the Personal Representative wants to receive compensation for his or her services, a petition for fees should also be included in the petition for final distribution.

A final account does not have to be filed if all the persons entitled to distribution of the estate sign a written waiver of account or a written acknowledgment of receipt of their share of the estate.

You will need to contact the probate court and request a copy of these types of documents or hire a paralegal that works for herself in the county where the probate proceedings were held. Once you have these records, you will then be able to determine how the bequest went from 20K to 5K. If it turns out that there were excessive fees charged by the law firm and approved by the court, you may have to appeal the court order or file a motion for reconsideration. You may need to hire a CA probate lawyer yourself to do this once you get the records.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney