How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2242
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom passed in August 2016, I have a life insurance policy

Customer Question

My mom passed in August 2016, I have a life insurance policy check Made to the order of "the estate of " my mom, what do I need to do to get this resolved within the 6 month period
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I only have her death cert.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am working with a tight budget. Are there any attoyrneys that do payment plans?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

My condolences on the loss of your mother. Unfortunately, because the payout was issued to "the estate of" in order to get the money distributed to a probate will need to be opened in the County probate court in which you mom resided.

Typically in this situation, a lawyer will agree to provide services and be paid out from the payout of the life insurance policy.

To get this resolved as soon as possible and hopefully within you time frame you should contact a Texas probate lawyer immediately. Here is the Texas Bar Lawyer Referral Service that can assist you with contacting a local probate attorney in the County where you mom resided:

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Related Estate Law Questions