Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I have a complicated situation with my home.My mom passed

I have a complicated situation with my home.My mom passed away 6-15-15 and left me everything in a handwritten AND notarized last will and testimony .I need the home in my name. I also had a company come out and replace the roof.I was told it would be financed ,AFTER they told me the financing went through and replaced the roof, three weeks later they came and said they refused financing because the home is in my dead mothers name still.(all was known and shown the will prior to the roof being placed on.)Now they have placed a mechanic lein and am sueing me for $14,026.00.To top it off we had a storm come through and the interior of my roof caved in due to some sort of LARGE leak in the new roof.I have contacted them 5 times, they wont even come fix it.This was supposed to be a roof that lasts us 35-40 years. I don't know what to do.I am losing sleep.It is affecting me so adversely that I really need advise on what to do next.I cannot lose my family home!
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: a notarized handwritten will leaving EVERYTHING she had to me.I am an only child.My father also passed 12 years ago.So Im the opnly one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That The stress and worry from this is too much to handle almost.im scared.I was born and raised in this house and I cant lose it

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Has the will been admitted for probate?

Did you receive a written warranty with the roof?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No on the probate.Yes on the warranty.It may sound really crazy, but I don't know where to begin with all this.I always ran to mom and dad for everything.I don't have anyone to turn to for questions.I guess that's why im here...

Thank you for the additional information.

The first step is to file a petition to open probate and admit the holographic will for acceptance for probate.

You or whomever the will nominates will be appointed as executor and then, eventually, you will have title.

Make a warranty claim. Regardless of the status of payment, the warranty is still enforceable. Make sure to follow the provision in the warranty for a claim since the failure to give notice or missing a deadline could prejudice your rights.

An attorney is not required, but is strongly recommended.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Are you still online with me?

If you have further questions, please feel free to post them. Otherwise, if you have no further questions and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry, I am at work, I will get back to you after 6pm.thank you

ok