Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My x husband passed away 2 days ago. I am trying to help our

Customer Question

My x husband passed away 2 days ago. I am trying to help our only son deal with funeral arrangements and disposing of vehicles and possessions. He is in California, there is a step daughter who is a prescription drug addict involved. There is no money available for him to get an attorney for guidance and I don't know how to help him. Is there somewhere or someone who is inexpensive that he can go to for legal advice?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: A safe will be opened on Monday to see if there is a will but it's doubtful. Hospice has been involved for about a month or two. An overdose of the step-sister would be on record because 911 had to be called.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just would like to know where I can refer my son to for inexpensive legal guidance.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Your best bet here is the local Legal Aid office as they may be able to assist with low or no cost representation. If they can't help, then they may be able to refer son to a low cost or pro bono attorney who can help with the probate case. The CA state Bar Association may also have referrals to local low cost or pro bono attorneys who could assist.

.

But son doesn't actually have to have a attorney to represent him in probate court as heirs proceed self represented all the time. Probate court is set up for non represented parties and if there was no real estate involved, and the estate was under $150,000, he may be able to claim all the personal property with a small estate affidavit. This is where he just fills out a form and anyone holding assets would turn over possession to him for the payment of debts and then distribution to the heirs at law.

.

.

thanks