How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41027
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I cash a check payable to the estate of P Vogel who

Customer Question

How can I cash a check payable to the estate of Edward P Vogel who died 3 and 1/2 years ago when there was no estate established?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check is for $548.00, from a city bank charge card that I didn't know about. I am co-named on the account.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Here you would complete the small estate affidavit showing you are the sole heir here and return check with affidavit and cover letter asking them to reissue the check to your name as the sole heir under the Affidavit and that no probate has been opened as this is the sole asset.

This hopefully gets you the check reissued to your name so you can deposit it.You don't have to file the affidavit with anyone other than the bank so not fees.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.