Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My mother has passed. The will is still in place and my

Customer Question
My mother has passed....
My mother has passed. The will is still in place and my father is honoring it. There are two siblings my sister and I. The will states that my sister gets all my mothers personal property. She did get everything of hers. I am to get my fathers personal property. My sister was named executor because of all the fuss she threw.I agreed to my sister getting the house because she lives in trailer and squanders what money she gets. I felt it was the right thing to do and she would need it. She resides in the house now. My father has now been diagnosed with colon cancer. I hate to ask him at this time for personal items but I have a dilemma. My sister said that she will not allow me onto the property to get his thing s because when he dies its hers. My sister also said as executor I will be lucky to get any money that is in the bank. My fathers has a conciderable amount in savings and the checking is a large amount that they pay bills out of. My sister is living currently in the house for free. ALL bills and food are paid for by my father. In addition her son has now moved onto the property in her trailer and his bills are also all paid for by my father. My father is distraught but doesn't want to create more stress than he currently has. I would like to ask him for personal belongings I know about and do want to end up with for myself and my son. Also how to I keep control of getting half of what is in the bank before my sister as executor squanders it. My father told me the bank will give me half and her half when presented with death certificate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2016
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

What is required under a will, must happen. The executor has to honor the terms, file an accounting etc etc.

During one's life, one can gift or transfer assets, thereby avoiding any issues down the line. Can also place assets in trust.

If all else fails, the court can intervene on request and review what happened with the assets.

Infolawyer, Attorney