Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Is there any way I can revoke a notary signature?

Customer Question

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

.

No, a notary is a professional witness to legal written documents and can serve to legitimize them. The only to challenge a notary signature is if the notary's license had expired and they had failed to renew it.

.

You can challenge the actual document's authenticity or the person who signed it's legal competency, but the notary signature just serves as proof that the person who signed the document is the same person who is listed on the document.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If was the notary and I notarized something I should not have...is there any way to legally cancel the document?

No, not without potentially getting the notary in trouble. For example, if someone notarized a backdated document, like a deed, that is a felony so there is no way to get out of that without the notary implicating themselves in some type of fraud.. So it may be distasteful, but if that were to happen, it is in the notary's best interest to just maintain that it was properly notarized. Otherwise they risk criminal conviction and actual jail time.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great evening!