Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

My mother has passed away and she has several credit

Customer Question

My mother has passed away and she has several credit accounts in her name only with balances...has her home and car in a trust..and a trailer in her name only...do we have to pay on any of these
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

You do not have to pay the debts of your mother and be personally liable for them, but if she has a will or has an estate filed to distribute her assets, these assets will have to be paid before any assets are distributed (such as her trailer). If there is not enough money in the estate to pay the creditors then you can negotiate with them. SO to answer your question, her heirs are not personally liable for her debts but in order to distribute any assets (not in trust) that pass through probate, the creditors will have to be dealt with.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?