How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117369
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My situation is a bit weird I have a friend who just got

Customer Question

my situation is a bit weird I have a friend who just got sentenced to 25 years in prison he is Executor of his mother's will who has passed away already now he's also married a couple years back he signed power of attorney over to his wife nicolene cook and then went to prison now in the events of everything he has sent me lease agreement 450 years, the revoke of her power of attorney (which I filed at the assessors office, along with the granting of the power of attorney to me) now a couple of these documents are notarized he also sent me a copy of his mother's will now his wife is trying to tell me that he has no power over his mother's will even though he's named executor because he's a felon now she's trying to say that I'm not allowed to move in and that Brian has no power ,who is my friend we are speaking about, even with a lease the granting of the power of attorney along with a letter to the power company stating that I am to be able to turn the power on and another letter to whomever it concerns saying that only I can pay the property taxes since he revoked her power of attorney and it's on file she has no leg to stand on the right
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he revoked his wife's power of attorney, then she has no say. As the new power of attorney you cannot self deal but you can act in the best interest of your friend. So if he wants to give you permission to move into the house he can do so in writing whether he is a felon or not. Since he is a felon in prison he needs an attorney and needs to have someone else appointed to be executor of the estate, but his wife would no longer be power of attorney if he subsequently revoked that power as you say.

Related Estate Law Questions