Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I live in California. My mother is living in Georgia with my

Customer Question
sister. My mother needs to...
I live in California. My mother is living in Georgia with my sister. My mother needs to be put in a facility with professional care.
AM I obligated to provide any financial support to her care givers.
My mother is living on $730 Soc Sec per month. My sister uses that to off set her expenses at her house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2016
Estate Lawyer: Taylor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Taylor
Taylor, Attorney

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help! to put it very simply, you are not required at all to provide financial support to her caregivers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can my sister sue me to provide financial for my mother?

Generally, most states do not require children to provide care if they do not have the ability to pay. States vary on what factors they consider when determining whether an adult child has the ability to pay. Children may also not be required to support their parents if the parents abandoned them or did not support them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you practising California law now?

i am not permitted to give personal information, i apologize.

you are only required to help an elderly parent in California and Georgia if the following criteria are met:

Very broadly, the following criteria need to be met in order for filial responsibility laws to apply:

• Your parent is accepting financial support from the state government.
  • Your parent has a medical or nursing home bill, acquired in the state which has a filial responsibility law, which they cannot pay.
  • Your parent is considered indigent, meaning the cost of their care is exceeding their Social Security benefits.
  • Your parent does not qualify for Medicaid, which would typically be used to cover such expenses.
  • The caregiver has reason to believe the patient’s child has the money to pay the bill, and chooses to sue the child for what is owed.

does that adequately answer your questions? let me know if you need anything further. when you are satisfied, i would greatly appreciate a positive rating!

Taylor
Taylor
Taylor, Attorney