How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother died a week ago. My 52 yr old brother has been

Customer Question

My mother died a week ago. My 52 yr old brother has been living with her for more than 15 years. She was estranged from her husband for more than 15 years. He has not lived in the home for more than 15 years. His name is ***** ***** any deed, title, bank account and so on. The bank account has my brother on it along with a letter from my mom to the bank saying her husband can have no "access to any of the money in the account as he can't be trusted." He's is a drug addict. We have not found a will so everything I would assume is in probate. The husband was told it was in probate and nothing comes or goes until it's figured out He has told us he is going to kick my brother out and will sell everything. He then took her car. He does not have a license, not on the title, and was told it's in probate. Can I, should I, report it as stolen? This is in the state of MI
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes, you should absolutely report the car as stolen before he attempts to sell or dispose of it by any other means. He has no legal right to the vehicle and this would meet the necessary elements for grand theft in MI.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions