Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I am a conservator for my brother in Idaho and my brother

Customer Question

I am a conservator for my brother in Idaho and my brother died. His property is in California (bank account) and the bank said i have to file a petition to liquidate funds in the state where the property is. I filed a petition for exparte order to liquidate funds in the Los Angeles Court and i sent them copies of my letters and order of conservatorship in both states and they denied my petition stating I don't have the authority to file petition because i was discharged from the California court when I moved to Idaho and the case was transferred to Idaho where my brother and I live.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 11 months ago.

What was the reason the LA Court discharged you? Was is only because the case was transferred to Idaho? If so, you will have to re-file a normal petition, (not ex parte) to liquidate the estate. LA Courts dislike ex parte applications and rather have time to evaluate the merits of the motion rather than 5-10 minutes on an ex parte basis.

Also, consider retaining a probate attorney for the limited purpose of filing this liquidation motion for a flat fee to get is resolved to save time, a filing fees. Additionally the link provided may entitle you to free legal services to assist with your probate issue that I suggest you making contact with to see if the association is willing to assist you for free: https://lafla.org/

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I need a rating to be credited for my time and efforts. Please rate my answer.