How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7351
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son received a settlement check in the mail 3 days ago,

Customer Question

my son received a settlement check in the mail 3 days ago , problem is he passed away 4 years ago. i can i deposit this check in my checking account holding the money for his 4 year old son? if not can i have check deposited into trust fund for his son?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 11 months ago.

No you cannot legally endorse the check and deposit it. Technically the money belongs to his heir, and can be transferred to the child using the Missouri small estate affidavit form.

This means that the check must be returned to whoever issued it, to have it reissued in the name of the son's estate, or nyour grandson. Depending on the amount of the check, you may have to open up guardianship to hold money for him.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.

Related Estate Law Questions