Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I had poa for my mother before she died I quit claimed her

Customer Question
real estate to my daughter...
I had poa for my mother before she died I quit claimed her real estate to my daughter and her names ,the jefferson county colorado records will not accept the deed as they state it is an incorrect legal description although it is clearly the property the title company however accepted the quit claim and recorded title in my daughters name come to fin out my niece had my mother record a benneficiary deed in her and my names and the county has my niece and myself listed as the property owners , can anything be done to keep the propperty in my daughters name
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
9/5/2016
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Your daughter here would need to file a suit to quiet title to seek to be awarded clear title.Your daughter maybe able to prevail and have the property placed in her name in the court orders.The orders here give her the clear title. at that point she can sell it or keep it or do anything she wants to do with it.

She will need a Colorado lawyer to file such a suit and seek to be named the sole legal owner.This is the legal means to settle this dispute of deeds and seek to be the owner.

ursuant to C.R.C.P. 105, Colorado courts are broadly empowered to consider all claims affecting or concerning real property:

“An action may be brought for the purpose of obtaining a complete adjudication of the rights of all parties thereto, with respect to any real property and for damages, if any, for the withholding of possession.”

Rule 105 proceedings “should completely adjudicate the rights of all parties to the action claiming interests in the property” and “address all competing claims of the parties.” Keith v. Kinney, 961 P.2d 516, 518-19 (Colo. App. 1997). “Quiet title actions are intended to grant full relief to the party asserting an interest in the property and, if that interest is based upon a theory of reformation, such a claim must be raised.” Argus Real Estate, Inc. v. E-470 Pub. Highway Auth., 109 P.3d 604, 609 (Colo. 2005). After filing the lawsuit, counsel for the plaintiff will generally record a notice of lis pendens with the clerk and recorder of the county in which the property is located. The notice of lis pendens effectively makes title to the property unmarketable during the pendency of the lawsuit.

Reference

https://www.robinsonandhenry.com/owner-disputes/

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Let me know if you have more follow up here, it is not a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would be the status of bthe property at this point in tie could it be sold

The title is clouded it appears multiple parties have a piece of it.Until there is a suit to quiet title all she could do is sell a partial interest and quit claim it to somebody.If title company cannot tell here you are in clouded title situation until it is resolved here.

Thanks for the follow up.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney