Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My husband passed away this month and I want to remove his

Customer Question
name from the property deed...
My husband passed away this month and I want to remove his name from the property deed. We have a Joint Tenancy with survivorship warranty deed. Although I know the ownership transfers to me upon death, I want to make sure his name is ***** ***** the deed. I was told that a new deed is needed.Can you tell me what type or the name of the deed that is needed so I can secure this property right away. I only have social security and can not afford an attorney.
I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks
Catherine Drummer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
9/2/2016
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You have a couple of options. The easiest is to leave the deed as is. It can be kept as is and then would be changed if and when you want to sell.

If you prefer to update the deed, you would do an executor or adminstrator deed transferring title to yourself.

This can be done easily and filed with land records.

If I can clarify anything, ask me.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Infolawyer, Attorney