How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad died. Do i need a lawyer. I caint find his will.

Customer Question

My dad died. Do i need a lawyer. I caint find his will. Lawton ok.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. First of all, my sincere condolences on your loss.

Some states have a simplified system in place where the estate is small. What type of assets are in your dad's estate (that is, assets titled solely in his name), and their approximate value?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The home and carlot worth about one hundred fifty thousand. He had a stack of papers they were mineral rights all ovr Okla. From lawyers wanting to settle or something. À few properties. Rent houses. Which is what I got no stove no ice box no window. I am working on it it's been very traumatic. It's in his and mothers name she's a *** nightmare!!! My daddy was the last living soldier in his outfit, I reckon u say, 7th army div. 7 steps to hell was his patch which she stole every thing and left even took my fifteen yr old daughter and moved won't talk of course she falsified court papers signs my name like it's hers and I'm scared she gonna get into trouble. I am disabled. And lost I been seeing a dr for depression. Daddy had a will. He had a pi too I can't locate she moved to Tx . My parents were kinda blood. À.M Key .I am also native American and the tribe is behind me they want answer but I have filed no complaint as of now it's lotta kin behind me . Like i said I didn't want her uno trouble. It's very hard u see now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
God bless you++++
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir my father was a very unusual gentleman. Very smart for a farm boy from never mind I don't know how much he was worth his credit limit was excellent heck he never used it always paid cash for everything. I never wanted for nothing he said I could have the house and carlot my daughter suppose to inherit all the money. So she took off with her and everything everyone his side family either died or don't know he's even passed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's like i am a mushroom keep in the dark and feed sht!!! The whole damn town knows paw but they don't know what I've told you. They him as a fine business man he was well received..
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Wow, that's a lot of issues! Given the value of assets, a full probate would have to be done. With so many various issues-the home, var, rental properties, and mineral rights, you would be well served to have a probate lawyer help you. Even in less complicated estates, with fewer assets, probate involves a lot of paperwork and deadlines that are easy to overlook, so in my opinion, it's best to have someone who is familiar with the process handle it. Generally, lawyers are paid a fee out of the estate.

If the will cannot be located, then it will be presumed that your father didn't have one, and his estate will be distributed according to state law, which may or may not equal his wishes. Unfortunately since a will doesn't have to be filed until a person passes away, all I can tell you is that you'll have to look around his house and see if it can be located among his papers? Maybe in a personal safe? It's rarely done, but sometimes lawyers will keep the wills for a client --if you know who his lawyer was, or can find anything from a lawyer in his house, it may be worth calling them to see if they have it.

With the items that have been taken --nothing should be removed right now from the house. An executor for the estate will have to be appointed for the estate who will be in charge of handling everything -gathering up assets, notifying beneficiaries, preparing an inventory, notifying any creditors and paying any last debts (which it sounds like he may have few or none), etc. The executor can also ask the court that items taken be returned to the executor and provide you with an accounting of everything they took.

I'm not sure if this answers your specific question(s)? Your only initial question was whether you needed a lawyer. We're not permitted to recommend specific lawyers or firms on this site, but if you like, I can give you some resources to help you find a lawyer. Just let me know.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!