How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2580
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father and stepmother added my step sister has a CO

Customer Question

My father and stepmother added my step sister has a CO occupant on a quick claim deed. Since then, my step mother has passed away. Being that my father's elderly I moved in with him to take care of him. My step sister is out of the picture. Yet she is on the quick claim deed as Co occupant and the home we'll go to her when my father passes away. He is then to take the property and divided between the siblings. The siblings do not believe that she will do that. And I have read that on quick claim deeds this has been a problem in the past. And perhaps currently. You're not my father is starting to lose his memory as he ages. He has given me for financial power of attorney. In order to make sure that the wishes of my father are carried out and that all siblings get equal division of the property. My question is, can I add myself as a CO occupant to the quick claim deed? Being that I have this power of attorney.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. I will review it. And then we can discuss it. Okay?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Depending on the terms of the Power of Attorney, an attorney in fact (the person with the power) could make a real estate transfer. However, there is risk involved because the person could be accused of "self dealing," meaning taking advantage of the Power of Attorney to benefit the person. If a Father still has his capacity enough to make business decisions, it may be best for the Father to transfer part of his ownership to whom he designates. Let me know if you further would like to discuss this matter.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello: Do you need further help on this question? If so, let me know. Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions