How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13886
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm just checking if there is a type law in Pennsylvania,

Customer Question

I'm just checking if there is a Baker type law in Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I think my doing to be ex wife is self medicating prescription drugs as she is give to rants whenever asked a question about our finances . My oldest son agrees with me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you today.

Under PA § 5100.84 et seq, the state allows individuals to be involuntarily committed if they are a danger to themselves and/or others. This is commonly known in PA as an "Involuntary evaluation and treatment (302)." When this is executed, the individual is held involuntarily for treatment, although a Court hearing is then held to confirm that the holding is constitutional and that the individual really does need to be committed. However, a hospital or an institution has to do this on their own.

In order for a person to be considered a danger to themselves or others, there are things that must occur within the 30 days prior to the submission of the 302. Those items can include the inability to feed themselves or care for themselves without the supervision of another person, attempted suicide or suicidal threats and self mutilation, for example.

Alternatively, is there anyone who could petition for adult guardianship of your ex-wife? Perhaps a family member (assuming you don't want to do it). By filing for guardianship, you would essentially be telling the court that she is unable to make decisions for herself right now, and if granted, the court would make her your ward (or whomever files the petition for guardianship). Once guardianship is obtained, then the guardian can seek her the help she needs, including if necessary, having her committed into a facility for in-patient treatment.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!