Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My ex-husband just passed away. He had never changed the

Customer Question
My ex-husband just passed away...
My ex-husband just passed away. He had never changed the beneficiaries on his life insurance policies. His daughter is asking for my help to get the death benefits. Is it legal in Arizona for the ex-wife, who was named as the beneficiary as his wife) to apply for the death benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
8/19/2016
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you tonight.

If he named you beneficiary after you divorced you can receive the life insurance you are bared by law here in Arizona.

Here is refernce

6. Is an ex-spouse automatically disqualified as beneficiary of life insurance in Arizona?

Yes. However, a divorced person may want to – or in some cases be required to – name an ex-spouse as beneficiary of a life insurance policy. This requires submitting a new beneficiary designation to the insurance company. Otherwise, Arizona law will automatically disqualify the ex-spouse as beneficiary.

http://www.tomboumanlaw.com/effect-of-divorce-on-estate-plan.html

You want to verify the date of the beneficiary form here--timing is everything here under Arizona law , it determines if you are the beneficiary here or not.After divorce here then you are, before divorce you are barred.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney