How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2242
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend knew that she was sick and put me on her bank

Customer Question

My friend knew that she was sick and put me on her bank account to insure that her bills would be paid in case she was unable to. She is now in a nursing facility for therapy and because of the medication is in and out. I am working with her granddaughter who lives with her and have access to the bills. I am now currently paying the bills. Her son who lives in California made himself power of attorney.
My question is can he take my name off the account? Also can you cash in a policy that does not have your name as beneficiary? It has his sister and niece's name on it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry to hear about your friends situation. A person can not make themselves power of attorney. Only your friend can grant him that right. He could with a court order become the guardian of her and by court order be issued the right to handle her financial affairs. Regardless he would not have authority to remove a joint checking account owner.

A policy may be canceled and cashed out by the owner during his or her lifetime. If a person with power of attorney has the specific authority to do so, then likely they can but the money must be used for the benefit and in the best interest of the principal. In this case, your sick friend.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Related Estate Law Questions