Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My house is in living trust. Son deceased -have 4

Customer Question
grandaughters one adopted which I...
My house is in living trust. Son deceased -have 4 grandaughters one adopted which I do not want her to get a part of the house when I am deceased. Is there anyway I can have my step grandaughter removed from my trust - house all go to the 3 grandaughters.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2016
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi Betty. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, you can simply amend your trust. A living trust is revocable, which means you can amend it at any time. It's your property and you can leave it to whomever you choose. Your step granddaughter has no legal entitlement to an inheritance.

You do not need to re-do your entire trust agreement. Rather, you can make this change by doing an Amendment. In the Amendment, you can reference your original trust agreement, state that other than the changes in the Amendment all terms and provisions of the original trust remain in full force and effect, and then specify which provisions of the original trust are being changed. You want to have the Amendment signed, witnessed, and notarized in the same format as the original trust. Then, make sure you keep the Amendment with the original trust so whoever gets your trust at your death will know the Amendment exists. You can do this yourself or you can seek the guidance of a lawyer, but you are not obligated to engage a lawyer to do this for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

I just wanted to let you know that I will be away at a meeting for the next hour or so. Should you have a follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Hi Betty. In case you need additional help, I have returned! :)

Richard, Attorney