How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117371
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NC. My ex wife had a child that was about 9month

Customer Question

I live in NC. My ex wife had a child that was about 9month old when we got married. He is now 18 years old. He was kicked out twice by his mother since we were divorced and lived with me each time. He went back to his mom after the first event (both at fault) but stayed with me for about 1 yr before turning 18 and became increasingly disrespectful to our rules. K gave him many opportunities to comply but eventually had to let him go on his own. He is still in high school (last year). His mother is asking me for child support again now that he stays at a friends house and not at my house. I had previously paid child support for him along with our 2 kids together. Am i even liable to pay for him at all? And now that he is 18? Did i set precedence by paying for the last 6 years? Currently I am of the mindset that he chose to be an adult by his actions and therefore doesn't need support from anyone other than medical so he can learn on his own but I also feel its unfair to burden His friends mother although she pushed for him to stay with her. Any counsel is appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, you did not set precedence if he is not your child and your name is ***** ***** his birth certificate. He is not your financial liability and once he turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later, even if he were your responsibility, that would end at that time. Even though you paid the last 6 years and did not fight it, that just means you did so out of a gift to the mother, not out of a legal liability to pay. Since he is still in high school, if the child were legally your child you would still have to pay, but again, he is not your legal child so you are not legally responsible, his biological father and mother are responsible for him.