How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieve ssdi and am receiving an inheritance from my

Customer Question

I recieve ssdi and am receiving an inheritance from my grandmother .the lawyer I have now says I will lose my ssdi if I choose to take all of it now .therefore suggests that I can lose my house if I don't keep a trustee to manage my $.I ask for all original papers legal and non legal items to be given to me and was told why I don't know how to read or write laughing and joking to my face .
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Under WA law you are entitled to obtain your file papers from the lawyer as per these laws:

  • At the conclusion of a representation, the client file generated in the course of the representation must be turned over to the client at the client’s request. If the lawyer wishes to retain copies for the lawyer’s use, the copies must be made at the lawyer’s expense unless charges were specified in the lawyer-client fee agreement. Washington State Bar Association Advisory Opinion 181 and RPC 1.5.


  • A lawyer must take steps to the extent reasonably practical to protect a client’s interests including surrendering papers and property to which the client is entitled. RPC 1.16(d). Client papers include: the actual documents the client gave the lawyer or papers, such as medical records, and documents the lawyer has acquired at the client’s expense.

I would say that you send a letter to this lawyer terminating him/her as your lawyer and send a written request that an appointment be made so that the file may be turned over to you in person within the next 3 business days. If the lawyer fails to comply, then file a complaint here.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Related Estate Law Questions