Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

MY FATHER HAS HIS NAME ON MY DEED, CAN MY SISTER CLAIM

Customer Question

MY FATHER HAS HIS NAME ON MY DEED, CAN MY SISTER CLAIM ANYTHING AFTER HIS DEATH, BECAUSE OF HIS WILL?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Is title with your father held as joint tenants with right of survivorship or as tenants in common?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM ON THE TITLE....THATS ALL I KNOW FOR SURE....I DONT HAVE IT WITH ME BUT WILL LOOK AS SOON AS I CAN....BUT IF I AM ON THE TITLE , CAN SHE DO ANYTHING?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
She can not make any claim on your interest.
If you hold title with your father as joint tenants then she will not have any claim at all on the property.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you are tenants in common then your father's interest in the property becomes part of his estate and if the will so provides, she could have a claim to that interest, but not yours.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.