How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  15 yrs experience: Elder Law, Wills, Social Security Issues
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California. I opened up my mom's living trust

Customer Question

I live in California. I opened up my mom's living trust checking account in March when she was alive and declared medically incapacitated. She past away in June. I am her trust's sole trustee. My mom's will gifted my only sister $100K (I received family home via trust). I have a notarized agreement with my sister on when the Trust will pay her $100K. Question: Do I have to now change my mom's living trust checking account to a Estate checking account, requiring me to get a FEIN?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


You must first take the will to probate court and start probate proceedings so that all of your mother's wishes will be carried out. If there are no provisions in the will or trust documents to turn the living trust into a pour over testamentary trust (used in estate proceedings), then you have to declare the living trust as part of your mother's estate to the probate court and the probate court will then decide whether this trust can simply be converted to an estate trust w/ checking account or if you need to close the account and open up a completely separate account to deal with estate matters for your mother's probate proceedings. My suggestion right now is to do nothing until after you open an estate proceeding and then inform the court of the existence of the checking account and that it was a living trust while Mom was alive and the court will further instruct you regarding how they wish the account to be handled at that point. Even if it becomes the estate checking account, unless your mother's estate was worth several million dollars there will be no estate taxes at the federal or state levels in any event and so a EIN number is ***** really necessary in the end for reporting to the IRS and federal government.


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you? I am paid nothing for answering your questions unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time for assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!



Related Estate Law Questions