LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
15277592

MY QUESTION IS, AT MY DEATH DO I HAVE TO PAY INHERITANCE

Customer Question

MY QUESTION IS, AT MY DEATH DO I HAVE TO PAY INHERITANCE TAX? I HAVE A HOME AND / CAR AND 2 ADULT LIVING CHILDREN. NO CASH MONEY. I ONLY HAVE SOCIAL SOCIAL SECURITY,HAVE MADE A SIMPLE WILL WITH MY CHILDREN TO SHARE ANY THINGS I MAY LEAVE. I AM IN DOUGLAS, GEORGIA . ONE SON RESIDES WITH ME .MY HOUSE APPRAISED AT 85.000 DOLLARS.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

I have great news for you and your children!

So long as you reside in GA at the time of your death, your children will not have to pay any inheritance tax or estate tax to the State of Georgia. Georgia does not impose either an estate tax or an inheritance tax.

And, so long as your estate is not worth more than 5.5 million dollars, there will be no federal estate tax or inheritance tax to pay either.

Your children will inherit your personal property and real estate in Douglas GA free of estate and inheritance taxes.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug