How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to claim joint tenant in ms.. I read I could

Customer Question

I am trying to claim joint tenant in ms.. I read I could without any written agreement. I don't know what form to submit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Is this pertaining to a divorce? Can you please provide more information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mate, once divorced, total of 47 yrs.25 married; 20 yrs. living together passed away 3/11/2015, October house burned down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
due to irs problem everything in her name only
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

So MS is very protective of surviving spouses.

Basically due to the "homestead exemption" a surviving spouse is entitled to the exclusive use and possession of the home while remaining unmarried. Additionally, if the deceased spouse did not leave a will, or if the will did not leave a sufficient amount, the surviving spouse is entitled to their elective share-this is the amount they would have received under the laws of intestate succession-so for example, if no children, the surviving spouse is entitled to 1/2 of the deceased spouse's estate, plus a life estate in the home.

Unfortunately one cannot create a joint tenancy with right of survivorship when one of the owners is already passed- it requires that all parties be alive, and for them to sign the deed. But no one can remove the surviving spouse from their home- per the homestead exception.

Now if the marriage ended and the parties continued to live together, MS has not recognized common law marriage since 1956; furthermore, while the court may find an implied agreement re: cohabitation which would allow the person some property rights, if the person is deceased and there is no will, unfortunately there would be no basis for a claim as the property would go to next of kin via the laws of intestate succession.

My deepest sympathies for your loss, and the recent destruction of the home.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!