How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37803
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a house ,but my mother in law has lifetime rights, she

Customer Question

I own a house ,but my mother in law has lifetime rights, she is in a nursing home and her power of attorney says he is not going to maintain the place or pay the taxes or insurance. If this is true what are my options. Thank you *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Your recourse here is to sue mother in law for "waste" if she doesn't maintain it or pay taxes and insurance when due, assuming those are her responsibilities under the life estate. This is a legal action that would serve to terminate the life estate and accelerate your full possession of the property.