How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about my parents house. Both of my parents

Customer Question

My name is***** have a question about my parents house. Both of my parents are deceased. They did not have a will. There are 5 of us siblings. All 5 are grown and have families of our own. 3 of the siblings are now deceased. What happens to their part of the house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of your loss.

If individual(s) die without having a will or a trust, they are deemed to have died "intestate" and the state's intestate succession laws will determine how the interests in the estate are determined. Each of your parent's estates will need to be distributed through probate (as will each of your deceased sibling's estates) in order of their death.

This can get a little bit complicated, and I would recommend retaining a lawyer to help (you will need a probate attorney (this is a trusts and estates attorney that works with the courts)).

The Texas intestate succession statute is explained here: