Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am the successor trustee of my late mother's trust, which

Customer Question
included her home. My title company...
I am the successor trustee of my late mother's trust, which included her home.
My title company is asking this: "Since your trust is irrevocable, please contact your attorney to have them prepare and execute a deed removing you from the trust."
Deed removing me from the trust? Do they mean remove me from the Grant Deed that transferred the home to me as successor trustee?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
8/5/2016
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Did the trust become irrevocable on your mother's passing (ie it was a living trust which is revocable, but it becomes irrevocable when the individual passes)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
irrevocable on her passing.

Thank you;

in that case when the trust becomes irrevocable, the successor trustee is supposed to distribute all of the property to the rightful heirs; so even if the trustee/heir is named on the deed, that is in the official capacity (it lists the individual as the trustee of the trust). It is still necessary to transfer it to the trustee/heir as an individual.

This is usually done by quit claim deed and then also filing a BOE 58 to prevent tax assessment under prop 13 (parent to child transfers are exempt from being re-assessed):

http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/faqs/propositions58.htm

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so a Grant Deed xfer to me as an individual. With that I must complete the "PCOS" which defines the "trust transfer" as excluded from taxation.I believe I've already done this maybe the title company is missing some of these docs.

You can usually check on line with the recorder's office in the county where the property is located; it will show a chain of title; not all counties are online in which case one would need to go in person, but most are online now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thank you.

I'm sorry; that last post was for another customer. please excuse that post.

kindly rate positively if no further questions;

all information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice

thank you for using Just Answer!

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information. Otherwise kindly rate 5 ***** if you feel I have earned it!

Thank you!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney