How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It is for my cousin, I am trying to help her. Brady is my

Customer Question

it is for my cousin, I am trying to help her. James Brady is my first cousin last week. His daughter is Lucy. He died in his apartment in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. She found the body. He was cremated. The body was released to his brother and buried in family plot in Vermont
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The problem is Police will not acknowledge her as his child and will not allow her access to his apartment. Parents were not married and his name was not on the birth certificate. He was 65, a veteran, and retired from a Union Job. They saw each other on a regular basis.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

She will need to file a petition to establish paternity with a court in the county where he lived. This can be done even though he has passed away. She can ask for a DNA test and call witnesses to testify that they know her to be his daughter. The court will then sign an order that says that she is his daughter and that the vital records need to reflect the same. She can then use that order to get access.