How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42327
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fl NY Soc Security, becoming Rep Payee and open new account

Customer Question

Fl NY Soc Security, becoming Rep Payee and open new account or keep the same; Sibling who was caring for her elderly parents and originally made POA in 2010 but has relapsed and hospitalised with substance abuse issues. Another sibling who has taken over the care of their elderly parents, was told by two attorneys to become the Rep Payee for their SS income. Does a seperate bank account get created while an accounting analysis is done to determine any missuse of the parents funds by substance abuse dependant sibling who was previous caregiver? Start fresh with a new account in the mothers name first or the Rep Payee which would be another sibling. Does the parent need to be present if there is a new poa but no revokation form has ever been sent ... Or keep in the same account which could be tapped into by the other sibling. Living in Fl over a year but resides in NY
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would set up new account in her name and yours as a co signer.The social security folks would direct deposit once you set up account, change payee , and it will go there.

You can use this number to do this.

You can call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****)

I think given the problems here a new account helps keep the other issues separate here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the parent need to be present? And does the account need to be set up first BEFORE notifying SS. Would it be best to go in person with the parent and can the original POA dispute this being that I have documentation validating their convalescence by their spouse and SS can call the rehab place to verify as well if there is every an issue.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

You will need the parent to go with you to social security in person.I would set up the account with minimal amount and have it ready to give to them to change direct deposit too.She has right to chance this in person, she can also revoke the POA.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Revocation of POA form you may record this in county where she is at and then send copy to social security for their files.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again and good luck here with all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can this be done without a POA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAn the account be open without the parent if they are sometimes confused with these places and get agitated?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

You can get the application to open and have her sign it and take it back to bank.They may want to see her here.She could sign a new POA for you here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The agent asked if there was a payee already and I said no. My siblings spouse screens her calls so I have stopped calling and don't even know if my sibling already is the Rep Payee.
If my sibling was a payee already, would the ss agent have told me?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

She should have told you if this was the case.See if they will not let you become th e payee here.

I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already went with my parent and applied. The SS agent took my id and my parent so I'm assuming if there was already a rep payee that the agent would have seen this on the computer right? They would not have continued to process me as payee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, how long can I speak if I call by phone for the $59 fee?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Yes thats correct they would have told you, and mother here can change her payee anyway so it should not be a problem.

I can do unlimited chat, not set up for calls. will send you an offer here.