How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Lawyer
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 73
Experience:  Sworn to the California Bar in 2011. Former staff editor at The New York Times Co. and seasoned news professional of 20 years experience in the U.S. and abroad.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died 4-22-2015 buried may 1-2015, s son came

Customer Question

My husband died 4-22-2015 buried may 1-2015 , his son came about may -7- 2015 took the key of my deep freezer and left with truck without permissionHow can I retrieve my husband stolen truck from is son. I have clear was reported to the Dallas police department. But they didn't take a stolen reports. They said it a civil matter, who can I talk to about this matter. I have no money. Please I need help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Scott!

I'll try and provide some perspective on this issue that I hope you find helpful.

Be aware I am licensed in California only, and in any case, lawyers here cannot provide legal advice to specific legal problem, rather we can only address legal issues generally.

That said, call back the police and insist that you want to file a criminal complaint.

That is your perogative. Their perogative is not investigating the complaint, but there's not much you can do about that.

Nevertheless, filing a criminal complaint will be another bit for the civil action against the person for, at worst, larceny, and at least conversion.

You might try self-help first: calling the person and asking him to return the car so that the situation doesn't escalate.

Probably, you can also hire a "repo man" as self-help to get it back (this is called 're-capture of chattels'), but be sure you do have legal title and that there is no orther or superseeding claim on the vehicle -- because if there is, YOU would be liable.

In all likeihood, this is going to take a while if you have to go by legal mechaisms, and some expense in terms of filing fees and lawyer fees, so be prepared.

I hope this provided some perspective you found useful -- if so, I would appreciate a positive rating.

Thanks & Good Luck!