How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7351
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in N.C. my mother passed in 2004 then my father died

Customer Question

i live in N.C. my mother passed in 2004 then my father died in 2014 but in 2009 my father signed over four pieces of property to mother and her heirs to have and to hold giveing up his N.C. rights to post alomony support ,divorce , for her to have and to hold in peace then after father died his exshitor of the estate put all the land into my fathers name and now trying to keep it all i became aware of his deed to her not quite a year ago i askin our names him to get it straight long story short he forgot about it and her children want to retain this property before the exshotor sales any more,please help me i am on ssi and only income and theres at least one million just in land that we stand to loose
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

No attorney would have prepared a deed from your father to your mother five years after she died. It's quite possible that someone tried to do that and the deed was voided after your father died. In any event, if you wish to contest the ownership of those properties you must hire a competent real estate attorney who will file a lawsuit to quiet title to the real estate in the name of you and your siblings. If you have a really good case, you might find a lawyer to handle it for a percentage of the recovery. Otherwise you will be facing legal bills of many thousands of dollars. I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating at this time.

Related Estate Law Questions