How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13658
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away early this morning. She lives in

Customer Question

My mother passed away early this morning. She lives in Cannon County, TN. My mom has a will, she called me 4 months ago & said that she had just come from her attorney & she did her will. How can I find out who my mom's attorney is? My sister & brother in law have already changed the locks on my moms house & are denying me entry. They've been inside her house & I'm sure that they've found her copy of the will by now. My sister & brother in law have already called the police & said that moms house was broken in to. They did the same thing to my dad when he died, they stole everything out of his house. They will destroy the copy of mom's will & will not tell me the name of her lawyer. Is there another way to find her lawyer? ps. you cannot file or pre-register your will in Woodbury Courthouse, I was in there last week & their Chancellor & their Clerk of Courts told me this. They told me that I have to go see her lawyer. How do I find out who her lawyer is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. It is my pleasure to help you today. First, let me express my deepest condolences on the loss of your mother.

Unfortunately, lawyers don't have to report anywhere whom they have prepared wills for or who their clients are. So, the only way to find out who her lawyer is would be to either a) somehow get into the house and find the will (which generally would have the lawyer's contact information on it) or b) call around to various firms in the area that do estate planning and ask if your mother was a client. I realize that neither one of those choices is seemingly feasible or otherwise seems like it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

At this point, no one has the authority to change the locks on the house or take items out of it. Your best bet would be to speak to a probate lawyer at this point about petitioning the court for an order preventing removal of any assets and that anyone in possession of the will immediately produce the copy and file it with the court.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist.Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and information today. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Also, note that under Tennessee law, corrupt destruction or concealment of a will with intent to prevent probate or to defraud is a felony punishable by imprisonment. (T.C.A. 32-14- 131, 40-35-111).

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information I could provide?

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If there is no additional information or clarification I can provide you with my answer, please kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way I am paid for my time and assistance. Thank you!

Related Estate Law Questions