How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 56560
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iwas told by dhhs that because I lived with my parents years

Customer Question

Iwas told by dhhs that because I lived with my parents for three years in their home giving up my house and jobs ,that I can just take the house iwas wondering how I do this
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: maine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not sure like what
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You do not get title to the house unless they deed it over to you, or leave it to you by will on their passing. Living there alone does not create ownership.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is willed to me but dhhs said I could just take it over now just remove dad s name from the deed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know what paperwork I need from my dad to change the deed ,so he can sign the house over now he and mom are now in a nursing home
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

This cannot happen unless the title holder transfers title now. To do it now, it would be a quit claim deed from owners to you. If they cannot do it, and you have a power of attorney, you could sign for them transferring it to you.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly click on an excellent rating, thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions