How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118649
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Law Educator, Esq, We are ready to proceed with the adoption

Customer Question

Hello Law Educator, Esq,We are ready to proceed with the adoption process. I want to ensure that the paperwork process is smooth therefore I think I should be the adopter and my aunt the adoptee (I will adopt her as my mother) so that the paperwork will be processed in the NJ jurisdiction where I live. Please advise if this is possible/feasible as oppose to my aunt being the adopter and I the adoptee.
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot adopt her as your mother. That is not how it works, she would have to adopt you as her child. So you have to be the adoptee and her the adopter. If you adopt her, then believe it or not she is treated like any child you have and not the other way around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Please provide your name so I can address you properly. I received a text that has this # *****(###) ###-####and reads, "This is my adoption forms. We ill call in a minute to talk about your adoption". If that was you, please give me a call. Also please let me know the cost of your service. Best regards, *****
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, but I did not text you or even offer to call you. We cannot represent you in any matters, so I apologize for that text as I do not know where it came from.
You would need to get your complaint for adoption of an adult forms at the local Surrogate Court where you live and generally the forms are not online, they are in the court's library in the form books.